Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Honesty, openly. . .

Well, here goes. . .I don't Facebook, Tweet, Instagram or whatever is the new thing or new way of communicating. . .for good or bad. . . I haven't written many thoughts publicly. I usually don't see the point. Though I appreciate greatly the academic life, I am no academition; Though I love the Scriptures, I am not a "professional" theologian; Though I love the business world, I am not a "successful" businessman. . .Though I love my wife and children, I am not a "stand out" husband or father. . .What could I possibly have to add to the conversation?

The answer: little. But, maybe that's enough. Maybe my preoccupation with things too great or too wonderful keep me from contributing the things which might help one.

I am a lover(imperfectly)--of Christ, my wife, my children, and my fellow travellers on the trail. I appreciate deeply the beauty, order and design of creation. I love the pictures of God and Christ, the "sacraments of the created order," that God reveals through hard work, family life, joyful times, difficulty, gardening, hunting, fishing, busyness, stillness. . . the things of life. I have nothing to offer Him in return, and yet He blesses me continually with the knowledge of His presence in all things. . .

So, here's a thought. . .

I have become increasingly convinced that our culture of isolation is a big part of the reason that the universal church is generally having anemic impact. Over the last couple of generations, we the church, have moved away from honest, gut level, direct speak. We have exchanged speaking the truth-in-love for some PC way of communicating that only serves to isolate us further from the one-anothering to which we are called in the Scriptures. . .Thankfully, the Spirt is moving, and many are seeing the fallacy of the culture-infiltrated church. . . and doing something about it.

This is my attempt to not continue being a part of the problem. . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment